[MV] VV - US v UK version

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sun Jun 1 16:22:39 PDT 2003

>Is there any significant difference between the two versions?  If
>the US version is significantly better, I may have to use that - and
>put up with the funny spelling!
>
>Advice will be appreciated.

David,

Based on the feedback I have received over the years from several
people who use UK English when speaking but have attempted to use
U.S. English versions of ViaVoice the recognition accuracy as much
greater for someone who uses UK English when using the UK English
version of ViaVoice.

In a couple of cases I have personally witnessed the difference in
recognition accuracy is absolutely astonishing.

Beyond recognition accuracy and spelling there are other differences
as well such as the software correctly handling the phrase "full
stop", and other phrases if the UK English version is used. This
makes a difference in the overall usability of the software.

I have always recommended that anyone who uses UK English use the UK
English version of what ever speech recognition software they choose.
(For some speech recognition software there is not a separate UK
English version, but the user can select a UK English language model.)