[MV] DNS on MacBookPro

vlmaples at bellsouth.net vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 19 21:31:28 PST 2007

Hi, Joe!

I think by most standards I would be considered an advanced user on both platforms.  The problem with iListen is that it does not capitalize my name unless I give that command.  I have both corrected it every single time it is typed, as well as "taught" through documents, especially focusing on one's with our family name in high frequency.  Despite correcting every lowercase occurrence of my last name (Maples), it never appears in the correction window.  I also started a new profile in case there was some corruption in an old one, and that did not improve.  I started another profile when I got my new computer, and it still has the same behavior.  In short, I have never been able to overcome the lowercase appearance of my name, with the exception of telling it to capitalize every occurrence.  Since that is not natural for me, it is easier for me to dictate name intensive communication in NaturallySpeaking which is available to me on the same computer.  Because the correction mechanism for NaturallySpeaking is infinitely easier and more rapid, in addition to being intuitive as you progress through the correction, it is a good option for me.

Much of my dictation is medical in nature, but not from a history of documents that I could feed in for training.  Again, because of that fact, Dragon NaturallySpeaking works better for those instances.  Perhaps for a doctor in practice where his vocabulary is standard and he has an extensive history of documents with his primary unique words, then it would work well.  That just is not my case.

Since I already own both products, it's not competition or a test, but simply a matter of efficiency.  I still use both products, each has its own place.  I have no desire to go back to a full Windows environment with all the software issues, hardware issues, as well as viruses and other malicious offenders that slow them down.  Parallels running Windows XP professional with Dragon NaturallySpeaking is a perfect solution for me for my more complex communication.  Since I am virtually totally dependent on speech recognition due to issues with my hands, it is worth my time to invest in improving my productivity and efficiency.

Thanks for your comments!
Valerie