[Ti] humble request (Digest Indexing !!)

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Sat Dec 7 17:23:16 PST 2002

> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 05:59:34PM -0600, Loren Schooley wrote:
> >
> > > Becasue then, HTML wouldn't be optional for that
> > > functionality,
> >
> > Yes, it would, and presently IS an option for most regular lists.
> >

> Please explain how HTML -- required for your solution -- is
> optional for those who desire said functionality?
>
> I believe the original request was simple, elegant, and
> applied equally well to HTML and plaintext digests, leaving
> HTML as optional. Your approach does not.

My approach may be limited by nollidge of the capabilities of a list
server program and the mail server they use. I do have one idea for
plain text though. Generally, daily emails are archived and catenated to
a file sent as a digest. Perhaps sorting first, using Sort or Sed/Awk or
whatever, THeN catenating it to the digest in order of subject (then by
time) would minimize scrolling and keep threads together. The only way
to do this is modify the program, and add a script or two on the
machine. Same with a digest email in HTML. The main thing is while not
satisfying everyone, provide as many options as you can. After a few
years, you'll have them all covered. When it comes to plain text, think
"formatting", cause that's all you can do. What a mess. Now you see why
digests are still using plain old catenation still, as I am sure this is
an old harried issue with list server programmers.

What are your ideas?