[Ti] utility for defragmenting my internal HD?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Dec 20 10:29:21 PST 2002

F. Mortes wrote:
> Hi, folks!
>
> I wonder what utilities you can recommend for defragmenting my
> Powerbook's internal hard disk. I'm running 10.1.5 and I'm on a tight
> budget.

File system fragmentation should not be a problem with OS X or other
unix type systems.  Especially with a desktop box.  If you are running a
server, then there is a unix defrag utility that you can run on an
unmounted file system, or you can do it with a backup and restore of the
file system data.  Although BSD uses UFS (and OS X's file system is a
little different), I have several linux servers (ext2 file system) that
have been running for three years+ without being rebooted or disks
defragged, with no problems whatsoever.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator