[Ti] Titanium/Cell Phone/Internet Service

Les Posen lesposen at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 18 12:25:18 PDT 2003

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 11:56  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:57:33 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Ti] Titanium/Cell Phone/Internet Service
> From: Sam Hotchkiss <ti at zlit.net>
>
> If you're interested in this topic, there is a mailing list dedicated
> entirely to hooking up macs to cell phones:
>
> I just joined yesterday, but they look like they have some good info

I took a look at the list archive, and after believed the list should
better be named "macs and US-based cellphone services."

Very little value for those operating outside of the US, since most of
the issues discussed arise out of failure to connect to a variety of US
cell companies.

Here in OZ, I have successfully paired my SE T68i with Optus GPRS for
dialup speed connections which now work more reliably under 10.2.5,
with D-link BT adaptor/PB 800.

While most telcos here operate with 2.5G, Hutchison through its Orange
brand, have released this week a full 3G service, allowing broadband
cellphone speeds, and true video exchange phone-to-phone.

In OZ: http://www.three.com.au

In the UK: http://www.three.co.uk

I have no idea if/when 3G is planned to be released in the US, but I
wouldn't be surprised if it gets passed over in favour of 802.11
hot-spot connection. At least that way there is one standard across the
US, that is until the next bunfight over a/b/g reaches critical mass.

One wonders  if an Apple branded communications device (Tablet/phone)
will come only with 802.11x or will allow for some connectivity in
countries with 3G services.

Les

Les Posen/MEL					      Webmaster
Lposen (AIM/iChat)				Australian Psychological Society
P.O. Box 1229 						  (Victorian Branch)
St.Kilda South					       Virtual Reality Therapy
Australia 3182	  http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iMovieTheater1.html