TiBook 1GHz Install DVD

Nessie nessie at mac.com
Mon Mar 3 10:08:32 PST 2003

As some of you will remember my father did buy a TiBook 1GHz in a rush (I'd
like that to happen to me) late last December. Being so happy to get this
nice machine he did not realize that he had bought a TiBook with a German
install set. Being based in Central Europe the keyboard isn't causing
troubles, but the system software does. Whilst Mac OS X can easily be
switched to English, Mac OS 9 can't. The dealer tried to get an install DVD
for the English version, but to no avail. The machine has now been sitting
unused on my desk for weeks!

Today I spent nearly two hours with Apple's support and the Apple Store. The
technical support people claim that they can only replace a German install
DVD with another one, but they can't change it for the English one! The lady
I spoke to at the warranty exchange phone told me that I won't be able to
get such a CD because Mac OS 9 is considered as obsolete and therefore they
won't be able to help me. Interesting, because the very same machine is
still actively sold in the USA and the UK.

The Apple store rep. told me that they don't sell any install DVD (or CDs
except for the general ones, which don't support the 1GHz TiBook because of
the SuperDrive, graphics card and other specific hardware components). And
he gave me the spiel about the advantages of buying in the Apple Store
because my father could have ordered any language that he desired there. As
if he couldn't have done this at the dealer as well...but life is what
really happens whilst you develop your wildest plans, isn't it?

Now, it seems as if my father is all out of luck and he is now very angry
with Apple. This machine is not cheap and the level of customer-support of
Apple is appalling. He will surely remember these stubborn behavior of Apple
when he considers his next computer...

Still, I don't give up hope yet. Therefore here's my request: is there
someone on this list who would be able to help us out somehow? I am not
asking for piracy, here's a legally bought Mac Powerbook 1GHz SuperDrive
with a software license that can't be used because Apple doesn't consider
itself to be global player ,as it seems. Makes me wonder what sort of
license this is if it cannot be transferred to another language. I don't
need the German installer DVD and I'd just gladly return it to Apple for
another language. Any good ideas out there what I could do?
If you feel more comfortable by replying off-list please feel free to do so.

Hopefully we can find a way! Thanks for your support!
/roland