[Ti] Major loss

Hes Nikke lists at ForgottenNewbies.com
Thu May 22 07:39:47 PDT 2003

twas 5/22/03 7:19 AM, when Bill Reburn at reburn at mts.net treated us all
with:

> On 5/22/03 8:48 AM, "XXL" <xxl at mac.com> wrote:
>> twas 3/22/03 7:05 AM, when Ray M at ray at dm.net.lb treated us all with:
>>
>>> I was working with drive 10 yesterday night... Was optimizing the disk when
>>> drive 10 freezed.
>>> This morning the partition wouldn't mount.
>>> I tried drive 10 to fix it but wasn't able to do so. Then tried disk utility
>>> also wasn't able to do so, finally I tried diskwarrior, who potentially
>>> fixed it, but after remounting the drive I noticed that the directory are on
>>> the disk but all the files have been deleted!.... How can I recover all he
>>> damage??
>
>> Please get a backup solution.  It can prevent  all the misery you are now
>> experiencing.
>
> Not meaning to pour salt in the wounds - so to speak, but don't all PB's
> come with at least a built in CD burner these days? (since the 550/667 were
> introduced anyway, with new ones a DVD burner?) I am only replying because
> we've all had a funky experience or two - not to bash Ray.
>
> Back in the day when burners were SCSI and cost $600 and tape or server
> backups were the only other (VERY cost prohibitive) solutions - it was
> difficult - but a 600MB CD takes all of what 15 minutes to burn?
>
> I burn all of my files to CD for sending to the printer and another for
> backup - so I have a handy multiple solution process in place. I too have
> lost files (just once, knock on wood) - but ESPECIALLY if you are going to
> run ANY disk utilities or repairs - you must consider a backup solution
> first.
>
> Good luck with
> your recovery Ray. If anyone can help, rest assured that you are among the
> best in company on this list.
>
> Bill Reburn
> Associate Member of the
> Society of Graphic Designers of Canada

Awwww you guilt tripped me out of saying "restore from your back up"

So instead I'll say this. If your data is that important to you, then you
should go to http://www.drivesavers.com/ they specialize in recovering data
from dead (see underwater, run over by a bus, or melted) Hard Drives. Sadly
because what you described doesn't fit under the category of dead, I don't
know how much good they'll be able to do. FYI, they are verry expensive, but
if you have no backup, that¹s probably your best bet....

hesnikke at ForgottenNewbies.com
hesnikke at sonic.net
--
Everyone knows that 2/3's of PBS is BS