[Ti] Major loss

Bill Reburn reburn at mts.net
Thu May 22 07:19:43 PDT 2003

On 5/22/03 8:48 AM, "XXL" <xxl at mac.com> wrote:

> Please get a backup solution.  It can prevent  all the misery you are now
> experiencing.

Not meaning to pour salt in the wounds - so to speak, but don't all PB's
come with at least a built in CD burner these days? (since the 550/667 were
introduced anyway, with new ones a DVD burner?) I am only replying because
we've all had a funky experience or two - not to bash Ray.

Back in the day when burners were SCSI and cost $600 and tape or server
backups were the only other (VERY cost prohibitive) solutions - it was
difficult - but a 600MB CD takes all of what 15 minutes to burn?

I burn all of my files to CD for sending to the printer and another for
backup - so I have a handy multiple solution process in place. I too have
lost files (just once, knock on wood) - but ESPECIALLY if you are going to
run ANY disk utilities or repairs - you must consider a backup solution
first.

A CaseLogic book that holds 100CD's is only about $20, a spindle of 100 CD's
less than $50 - it's just too easy to coordinate these days. I even make a
tested backup of my professional applications InstallCD's to keep elsewhere
or for those once in a millenium times where even those will choke. Call me
paranoid, but we're living and working in a digital era that is NEVER 100%
reliable.

I am buying a new house and I am very happy to see that current house
insurance plans are unlimited for software replacement coverage and over
$100,000 for hardware replacement with a minimal of expense. But that's a
different matter all together.

Good luck with
 your recovery Ray. If anyone can help, rest assured that you are among the
best in company on this list.

Bill Reburn
Associate Member of the
Society of Graphic Designers of Canada