[Ti] Beginner OS/X Text

Seymour J. Wolfson wolfson at wayne.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:07:21 PST 2003

>On 11/25/03 1:40 PM, "Frank Wiewandt" <fwphoto at adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>  I've been asked to look into teaching a workshop for beginners on
>>OS/X. It'll
>>  be a one day workshop for folks who's first computer is a new Mac with OS/X,
>>  switchers from earlier MacOSs, switchers from PCs, or current Mac
>>OS/X who may
>>  lack confidence & would like to know more without getting into too much
>>  technical stuff.
>>
>>  I'm looking for suggestions about a text to use. It might include more info
>>  than will be covered in a day, but I'd like it to do a thorough job with the
>>  basics, first. The book should be easy enough, though, for a beginner to
>>  finish at home without help if they so desire.
>>
>>  Don't know if it'll be Jaguar or Panther so suggestions for either are
>>  welcome. I suspect the first ones may be Jaguar with Panther comming later.
>>  Might not be a lot of books on Panther available yet, either.

=================
You might look into "The Little Mac OS X Book"
It has a very good review in the Washington Apple Pi Journal.  The
following is a small clipping:

First off, The Little Mac OS X Book is not little. At slightly more
than eight hundred pages, it is larger than an iBook. Second, it is
by Robin Williams, one of the most celebrated computer book authors
in the world, which means that it is brilliant. The illustrations,
layout, writing and organization are extraordinary. Third, you need a
copy if you use Mac OS X. You can read the rest of this review if you
wish, but those three things alone probably cover everything you need
to know.
--

Seymour