[Ti] mail.app problem...but different this time

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 14 09:01:57 PST 2004

Perhaps you have bad RAM.  I see it VERY frequently at the AASP where I
work.  If you added any third-party RAM to your computer, and
especially if you made your decision on where to purchase based on
price.  The only place that I ever recommend is Crucial (crucial.com),
aka Micron.  There are other good manufacturers out there, but they're
also significantly more expensive.
I'd recommend pulling any extra RAM for a while, do an archive and
install (not preserving users; your preferences are likely corrupt, so
you should probably copy all your user data out of the Previous Systems
folder after the install), and see if the problems come back or not.
Another way to test, if you don't need the computer for a few days, is
this: before pulling the RAM, open up Activity Monitor as a good
indicator of whether the computer hasn't crashed (or finished what it's
working on, either).  Then open up Chess, set the computer's difficulty
to the highest in the preferences, and start a new computer vs.
computer game.  Let it run for a day or two, checking on it
periodically; see if it crashes.  If not, well, this test wont show you
anything.  If it does crash, note about how much time it took to go (eg
on the order of minutes, hours, or days).  Pull all the third-party
RAM, and run the same test.  Hopefully it won't crash; if it does, that
can sometimes indicate a problem with the processor.

Note, however that there is NO software test (eg Apple Hardware Test,
TechTool Pro, my little Chess exercise) that will get even close to
finding all bad modules; I'd guess those catch on average 1 out of
every 20 bad modules, usually the ones that have massive failures.  The
ones that just have a few bad bits, or run just a little slower than
their specification, or have intermittent failures tend to slip by.
Even the $5000 hardware RAM tester we have at our shop only catches
maybe 3 of 4 sticks of bad RAM, I'd estimate.

Anyway, if anybody ever wants my personal (and not-so-humble ;-)
opinion on their third-party RAM, I have developed a sense of how good
or bad various types or RAM are from testing hundreds (maybe even
thousands) of sticks of RAM; all I need to do is look at it.  Feel free
to E-mail photos of any RAM to me.  Make sure I can read the labels,
and the printing on the chips.  If you have multiple DIMMs, see if the
chips are all marked from the same manufacturer, otherwise maybe send a
photo from each stick of RAM.