Slow as molasses lately...

Gary Mark gmark at cogeco.ca
Sun Jun 13 21:25:10 PDT 2004

Okay here's what I'm running:

PB G4/400 640MB 40G OS 10.2 (Jaguar) Usually run Mail, Safari, Acrobat
Reader and Graphic Converter simultaneously and others on occasion.

Lately, Mail and Safari have been 'spinning the hard drive' and
spinning the beach ball between requests.  It's really bogging down my
productivity to wait for these cycles.  What is going on?  Why does the
OS/application need to access the the disk so much?

I might add that I've had two instances (since February) where I lost
all my preferences from the OS crashing and me rebuilding the
desktop/repairing permissions.  I nearly freaked when I lost all my
emails/accounts.

Thanks,

Gary Mark
Oakville, ON Canada