[Ti] DVD Region Code Free Firmware for DVD-R UJ-816

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu Mar 4 00:23:31 PST 2004

At 13:02 -0500 3/3/04, Dave Cedrone wrote:
>Has anyone run that firmware on a TiBook 1gig with a UJ815 and had success?
>i'm trying to figure out if its worth it, just seems so dangerous... read
>through cynikals site and all of the forum posts....

Dave - I have flashed the firmware in two Ti-500 Powerbooks with
absolutely no problem, making them region-free, as I have DVD from
many regions.  I have never had the 1G Ti-book with the UJ815 drive,
but I expect that risk factor is the same.  Follow the simple
instructions and there is no problem.  The warnings are there because
of the potential problems if for example you turn the power off in
the middle of the process, and presumably to avoid any litigation
effects.

However, I now adopt the same approach mentioned by Wilson Ng - I use
VLC to play DVD from other regions, especially as there is not yet a
firmware flash for the UJ-816 DVD drive in my 15" Al-Powerbook....

Trevor