[Ti] apop and Panther Mail.app

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Oct 4 05:43:39 PDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 4:45 AM, Justin R.Miller wrote:

> Second, APOP is only tried when a server advertises that it is
> supported.  Mail.app tried to use the most secure method available,
> and since APOP is advertised as available, it goes for it.

I think the original issue is that mac2 wanted to "switch off" APOP
because the ISP blamed it on Mail.app.  I hate when tech support people
do that - dream something up based on a partial knowledge of the issue.
  That's almost worse than a WAG.  Too many ISP tech support people only
know how to walk the customer thru rebooting Windows, run the latest
anti-whatever software, and finally suggesting a OS re-install if they
can't get it to work.  Mention you're using a Mac or Linux desktop, and
it's *always* going to be some mysterious "technical" issue with your
chosen OS, just because it's not Windows.  Even if the real problem is
on their end.
--
Chris