WordPerfect vs, MS Word (was: Re: [Ti] Re: OpenOffice on Mac)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Dec 4 09:02:00 PST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 7:03 AM, William Scammell wrote:

> I find PM is better for large books, while I prefer Quirk for short
> docs or adverts. (I haven't had enough time to really start digging
> into InDesign. Bad designer, No biscuit!!!)

Our technical writers still use FrameMaker on PowerMac G3's running
OS 9  for large heavily formatted technical documentation/layout.  We
looked at InDesign on OS X as a replacement for FrameMaker.  However,
InDesign CS2 is still more ideally suited to short documents and our
trial runs with it failed.

Our PowerMac G3/266's are almost 9 years old and are due for
replacement.  Adobe's failure to port FrameMaker to OS X, and Apple's
roadmap with lack of Classic support on the x86 Macs, was the final
nail in the coffin for our technical documentation people.  They'll
be going to Windows in Q1 2006 so we can get support for our software.
--
Chris