[Ti] New PowerBook Decisions

Paul H. Yoshimune paul at yoshimune.com
Sat Mar 5 14:58:17 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:16:16AM +0300, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
> At 13:59 -0800 5/3/05, Bill Fox wrote:
> >You will get a lot of opinions on this because it is a tough choice.
> >
> >>But I'm having last minute second thoughts that
> >>maybe I should consider the 17 inch PowerBook
> >>instead. I'd really appreciate input from
> >>anyone who made that same decision and how they
> >>feel about it after the fact.
>
> All of this adds up to a big demand on screen
> real-estate.  I think that withoiut Exposé, I
> would be lost with 'just' a 15" screen.
>
> Of course, I manage, and have no complaints.  But
> I feel that I am in this transition, such that
> now, for the first time, I wonder if my next
> Powerbook might be the 17"...... especially if
> present trends continue.
>
> For me right now, it is more speed that I need,
> rather than more screen.   But a moe toa 17" wold
> provide upgrades on both, from where I am now,
> and that might represent an increasingly
> attractive combination.

Lots of good opinions running around, and I think in the end it will depend on
what you're using it for.  For me personally, as a developer, I value screen
real estate quite highly.  I have a Ti 667 GE, which only has an 1152x768
screen resolution - it's a killer.  I've *LOVE* to have a 1600x1200 screen in
the 15" form factor.  For work I use an IBM T42 with 1400x1050 on a 15" screen,
and just a bit more would be perfect.  I'll be first in line when Apple ups the
display resolution to 1600+...

BTW, the T42 has UNBELIEVABLE wireless reception!  Much better than even my
SO's iBook, which itself puts the TiBook to shame.  Too bad it's not a Mac...
--
Paul H. Yoshimune
paul at yoshimune.com
http://www.yoshimune.com/