[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Dr Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Sat Sep 24 00:27:20 PDT 2005

On 22 Sep 2005, at 02:37, Chris Olson wrote:

>   Apple needs to advertise.  I mean, go to Apple's website right
> now and what do you see on the front page?  The iPod nano.

Chris - first, thanks for that info about the Lenovo hZ60t Widescreen
titanium notebook.  Pretty impressive, incredible price.
Although when I looked in detail at the site, I do not see much
difference when we compare like with like/same specification.

I agree with your point about advertising.  Advertising and
education, I think are needed.
If YOU think there is little advertising, and you are in the 'home
country', imagine how it is elsewhere.

Here in Saudi Arabia, there is a new generation of Saudis who know
practically nothing about Apple.

I had one student, who in his spare time runs a computer shop, who
asked me what my laptop was.  I said look at the (Apple) logo.  It
meant nothing to hin !  I have only found one student at the College
who has an iPod, and 1 member of staff.  iPod is unknown to more than
99.9% of the people.  Only the Media Centre have a (G5) Mac for
publishing work.

A junior staff member came to me the other day and said he wanted
some advice about buying a laptop.  He showed me a price list with a
Dell 15..4" screen and all the bells and whistles (Bluetooth,
wireless, long battery life) for at least $700 cheaper than the
equivalent Powerbook.  I could muster no arguments as to why this was
not the best option for him.
I was in the IT Department this week at the College and looked at
their standard textbook on "Operating Systems".  Not even a mention
of Apple or Mac anywhere.  Talk about monopoly !  Most people here (>
99%) don't even know there is a choice or an alternative.

So I come somewhat reluctantly to the same conclusions as you, that
more advertising and communication is need (bring back the
evangelists), serious re-design is needed to cut out costs, margins
have to move down, prices have to move down.

The Lenovo machine may have broken the paradigm of cheap and nasty.
Well designed and cheap seems a new market segment that previously
never exised.  I predict it is on a growth track.

I think that it is unrealistic to expect that Mac-OSX-for-Intel will
stay on Apple hardware.  I believe that there will be a huge driving
force to make it run on 1/2 price (Dell, Lenovo) laptops.  This force
will at least activate hackers, but probably will be strong enough to
drive Apple policy, even if reluctantly.

We are at a very interesting juncture in the development of the
laptop.  In my recent proposals for a new building (2y out) at the
College, I wrote that all staff should have wireless  laptops.  More
than half the desk-space in every office here is taken over with huge
ugly old CRT monitors, big boxes, thick cables and clunky keyboards
(all this from new HP/Compaq PCs running XP).  My laptop is the same
screen size, far better resolution and only a tiny footprint, and a
pleasure to work with.  But will those laptops be Macs or Lenovo ?
Interesting question.

Myself, I know that I could not achieve the productivity I have with
my Al-book, Mac OS X and Keynote® with a cheap PC laptop.
How much is it worth to me?  Probably a lot.  But for those who are
not power-users?  Maybe the advantages are worth much less, and the
new well-designed-and-cheap laptop may scoop some people.

regards,  Trevor