[Ti] OWC MercuryPBG4 SuperDrive Dual-Layer?

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Mon Mar 13 06:33:33 PST 2006

Anyone have tried this drive from Other World Computing:
MercuryPBG4 SuperDrive Dual-Layer:
<http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MPBG4SD8XDL/>
?

My moviemaking friend tells me I'm better off getting a external firewire
LaCie drive with Pioneer A-106D mechanism (4x Burning) because it's more
compatible, but OWC says this is the same drive Apple uses and my friends
stock Matsushita in his 1.5Ghz 17" burns DVD's that seem to work in all
drives I have encountered and I satisfied with DVDs playing in my
titaniums and on a variety of DVD-players. My need for burning DVD Video
to play perfect on *all* players in the world is quite limited. Which is
the main reason to get a Pioneer, my friend tells me.

Perhaphs this drive is good enough?
Anyone have a clue of what mechanism this drive might have?