[X-Apps] Voice to Text program

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Thu Feb 27 07:57:21 PST 2003

The problem isn't finding a program, the problem is doing the basic
research to figure out how to do voice recognition of this type. I've
never used the dictation programs available, but what I read is that
they are just about getting there when you can train them extensively
on one voice. Dealing with interview tapes, especially on the phone or
from an auditorium situation, is going to be a while. I have hope that
digital recorders might make some difference, perhaps used with some
noise-canceling technology like is built into certain earphone sets.

Meanwhile, a good medical transcriber is the way to go if there's room
in the budget to pay one.

> Dragon Naturally Speaking and IBM ViaVoice are two products with Mac
> versions for speech to text. The problem with both, as far as I'm
> aware,
> is that they have to be trained to recognize the voice of single users,
> so they don't work for transcribing interviews, for example, of
> different people. They are really office products. I have been
> searching
> high and low for a long time for a program on either Mac or PC platform
> that can be accurately used with many voices, since I do a lot of
> interviewing, but have been unsuccessful in this.
>
> Judy Antipin
>
> Michael Marlowe wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions for a program that turns the spoken work (In an audio
>> file)
>> into a typed document?

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com