How to make animated gifs?

John B. Thoo jb2 at ms.yuba.cc.ca.us
Tue May 13 10:36:03 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 05:38 AM, in X-Applications Dan Frakes
wrote:

>> Get GifBuilder
>
> For the animation part, GifFun is another good choice:
> <http://www.stone.com/GIFfun/GIFfun_by_Stone_Design.html>

Thanks.  I'll check this out, too.  BTW, since I'm already working in
X11 to create the graphs, do you know of something I can install via
Fink to do the same?

And in the same digest, hart at nasw.org wrote:

> You might want to consider whether an animated gif is actually a good
> thing. IMO, one or a few playthroughs might be interesting. A looped
> gif on a page is distracting to the eye, and can become downright
> annoying. Looped animated gifs are also rather dated, like the pages
> with little guys digging to show the page is under construction.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.  I'm wanting a to put a small
animated logo on a Web page and I thought an animated gif might use the
least bandwidth and certainly not require any plug-in.

> That's not to say you can't have some fun without annoying your
> visitors. I'm no expert, just a tinkerer, but here are three examples.
>
> [snip, snip]
>
> <http://www.olympus.net/personal/hart/>
> <http://tintin.eugraph.com/tqsect/feature/featoc.html>
> <http://acp.eugraph.com/birds/sing.html>

Neat examples.  Thanks.  (Did you put together the last one using
iMovie?)  BTW, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't have
Photoshop, but I use the Gimp.  The Gimp doesn't seem to save directly
to a gif.  Do you know of a plug-in or something that I can install via
Fink that would enable the Gimp to save directly to a gif?

Thanks again, all.  I appreciate all your tips.

---John.