[X-Apps] e-mail Virus "WORM" in Mail.app

human being human at electronetwork.org
Sat May 24 10:09:53 PDT 2003

  while it may be true about Mac's invulnerability to PC virii, it is
hard
  to explain what happens when odd things happen in the OS. for
  instance, i made a project using quicktime pro from images that
  were behaving oddly on my machine (latest OS 10 version) and
  it would cause the finder to reboot, and the finder window to then
  crash when trying to change the view and clicking on the image
  file (a .jpg of 40k or so). in any case, i figured it was a corrupted
  image and went along with the project. though save this project
  to a CD rom which, when loaded onto the OS, also makes the
  finder crash and reboot and the file inaccessible (except through
  the terminal program). in turns out someone downloaded the
  quicktime final project and said they scanned it and found a
  windows virus in it - which may explain the havoc it was doing
  (and continues to do) on my machine. heard that Norton now
  has a virus scanner for windows virii on Mac systems, which
  would prevent this in the future, yet it is troubling none the less.
  Macs are far from invulnerable (not that anyone is saying they
  are) and i wonder even if the windows virus may not be able
  to execute its code, it could still cause problems in attempting
  to execute its instructions on the machine (causing the finder
  to crash, creating corrupted disks, making a reboot needed).
  sending in case others have experienced this weirdness. bc