[X-Apps] PC Viruses on Mac

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sun May 25 14:47:13 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 12:05 Canada/Eastern, human being wrote:

>  what _is known is that the problem _is associated
>  with a file (an image) that _does contain a windows based virus, and
>  as a result of clicking on it, it reboots the finder and makes
> accessing
>  the file impossible.

Don't let technicalities get the better of your common sense. This is a
familiar error in logic, the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. The
typical example is, "when the cock crows the sun rises, therefore the
cause of the rising of the sun is the crowing of the cock".

The behaviour you describe, though rare, is not unique, and it's not
caused by a virus. I've seen it most recently, for instance, with a
couple of images on an enhanced CD ("Rough Guide to South African Jazz"
World Music Network RGNET 1045). I suspect it's caused by Finder
chocking on some previews; consequently, it crashes and then restarts,
as it's supposed to do (note that 'reboot' applies to your entire
system, not to Finder).

As to Win viruses, when you get someone telling you such and such file
you sent them contained a virus, ask for specifics. What virus? Which
app detected it, and how up-to-date was it? Otherwise, we're wasting
our time debating vague generalities. For instance, a JPEG file by
itself cannot execute a virus. Perrun -- a virus which hides in JPEG
files -- can do nothing by itself even on Windows (see
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
w32.perrun.html>).