[X-Apps] appleworks/word screw-up

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Mon May 26 09:18:43 PDT 2003

No help for your particular situation, but I've been stung by the
problem AppleWorks/MacLink have with Word translations enough times to
abandon any attempts to work in AppleWorks on Word-format documents.
What I mean is opening a Word-format document in AW, editing, then
saving, which doesn't change the format, but translates back
automatically. On the other hand, I have had no problems in translating
to AppleWorks, saving as an AppleWorks document, then editing, then
saving, then using Save As to translate back to Word format.

I'm using Word itself for a current project, and it's crashed enough
times that I keep daily (untouched) copies of all the files I'm working
on.

If you know some unique text in the document, you could use Find by
Content to see if the file got saved to some odd place by accident. AW
does make backup copies in a special folder.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com