e-mail Virus "WORM" in Mail.app

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Mon May 26 11:12:46 PDT 2003

>Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 11:05:37 -0500
>Subject: Re: [X-Apps]
>From: human being <human at electronetwork.org>
>

>>  If it can't "execute its code", how could it attempt "to execute its
>>  instructions"? Follow your own logic!
>>
>>  Bottom line is this: the day to start worrying about PC viruses is the
>>  day you can run PC apps on your Mac.
>>
>>  (Note that macro viruses are not PC-specific, so you should worry
>  > about those if you're using Microsoft apps.)

>   hi, sorry i am not good with technical aspects of programming, so may
>   have muddled this. what _is known is that the problem _is associated
>   with a file (an image) that _does contain a windows based virus, and
>   as a result of clicking on it, it reboots the finder and makes
>accessing
>   the file impossible. maybe not a virus, itself, doing this, but how it
>may
>   interact with the system as a devious file may indeed be relevant. bc

It sounds as if you have a corrupt file-perhaps the icon is damaged
or something. The easiest way to remove it, if you can't click it, is
with the terminal. Open the terminal, and type cd (directory the file
is in; unfortunately, you'll have to learn enough unix to figure out
how to get to the directory). Then "rm (filename)".
I can't think of a way to do this with the finder if clicking the
file crashes the finder.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html