[X-Apps] Need Help Changing "Owner's" Name

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Tue Feb 10 10:41:30 PST 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:15:23 -0800, Stephen Hart <hart at nasw.org> wrote:
>> Apple Menu -> select "About This Mac" -> then select "More Info..."
>>
>> I put the wrong name in when setting up a PowerBook.
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

> Here's an Apple doc that explains the problem and one way to fix it.

Actually, the original message was asking how to change the computer name,
not a short username. If all you're trying to do is change the username, the
was correct.

> There are others, but maybe not as safe.
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?%20artnum=106824

The reason there are other sets of instructions out there for changing the
short username is because Apple's aren't very good. (They basically don't
provide a complete "switch.")

I would also argue that since Apple's instructions tell you to enable the
root account and log in as root, they're the *least* safe of all the
instructions I've seen.