17" Flat panel CRT Prob's

Frank Farwell frankfarwell at mac.com
Thu Mar 13 09:55:27 PST 2003

> We are having some problems with a 17" flat panel CRT studio display
> (ADC connector). The monitor was working fine under OS 9, on an older
> G4 (not too old).

snip
> About 2 months into the transition, the
> monitor started ghosting the darker elements on the screen - the type,
> for example, is solid, then there are about 4-5 repetitions in light
> gray to the right of the type
>
> Could OS X have caused this?

John

No it would not be able to do this from any way I understand. You have
some kind of failure here in the monitor.

>  Is there some fix?

probably a new Tube (picture tube) not worth it IMO. it is also
possible you have a part(s) fail on the circuit board. These days most
techs replace the whole board. i would think this is not worth it.
unless you could get one cheap for parts.

> I called around, but it
> seems no one wants to do any monitor repairs. The refresh rate is
> correct (comparing it to what it was in OS 9).

To install a tube set up the yoke and align it would run more than it
will cost for another monitor to replace it. the tube would be at least
$100 i would estimate possibly $150 and to replace and align the tube
would be at least another $75-100 at current shop rates.

> Do I need to de-gauss it? I degaussed it from the computer monitor
> options.

De-Gauss is for off coloration of the screen caused usually by magnetic
sources near the monitor - put a magentic near it and you will see the
colors go "off color"  the deGauss demagnitzes the screen so colors
look correct again.

Frank Farwell