virus question

John Lowther j.lo at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 30 00:02:02 PDT 2003

primary question: is KLEZ windows specific?

2ndary stuff (not OS X specific so feel free to ignore)
        it *seems* someone out there has KLEZ and so every time i check
mail there are between 3 and 10 bounce messages being returned to me
because some address "I" wrote to no longer exists.  or i'm blacking
out and then promising people i don't know that i can help them lose
weight.  i wrote to earthlink, trying to figure out how to deal with
this, they wrote back as follows;

***********
Thank you for contacting us.

We have gone through your issue regarding the bounced back emails which
were not sent by you. This sounds like someone you know is infected
with the KLEZ virus.  The W32/Klez variant virus has the ability to
spoof the email FROM: field. The sender's address used by the virus is
one that was found in the infected user's email address book. Thus, it
may appear that you have received this virus from one person, when it
was actually sent from someone else.

Viewing the entire email header will display the actual senders address.
**********

...hi, i'm back
.................so here is what i am unclear  about. they tell me that
viewing the entire email header will reveal the true sender (afflicted
machine).... ok, but when i look at a variety of the headers on these
bounced messages i can't figure who this afflicted sender is (there is
one below if anyone else knows how to divine this information)

....and a final curiosity... CHECK OUT THE WORD SALAD and or
experimental poetry that someone might have received from 'me' ....
very funny