"...disk is in use" But by what process??

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed May 21 00:07:39 PDT 2003

> From: Jerry Krinock <dearjerry at mindspring.com>
>
> on 03/05/20 06:46, James S Jones at jsjones at mac.com wrote:
>
>> The solution is to close
> [you mean "quit".  This is Apple country. ]
>> the application that was launched by opening a
>> file on the disk (that refuses to be ejected). Quit Acrobat Reader,
>> etc, and the disk is no longer in use. If the reader app had already
>> been running when the file on the disk was opened, you will not have
>> this problem.
>
> This is interesting, James.  I think I have may have seen this
> behavior,
> which I would describe as a bug in the OS.

While I might agree with you that this can be annoying flaw in the
design, it's NOT a bug.

The definition of a bug is some UNEXPECTED happening. This was a
behaviour that was deliberately designed into the OS for stability
purposes. Thus, it cannot be a bug.

_Chas_

"That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
industry-wide mindset." - Me, March 2003