[X Newbies] Alternatives to Word/MS Office

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 14:01:27 PST 2004

On Jan 24, 2004, at 2:29 PM, Bobbo wrote:

> Just FWIW - I purchased Think free Office on its claims to be able to
> work with MS Office documents. In just a few uses (mostly translating
> clients' .doc and .xls files) I'm very disappointed.

I haven't tried to go "Word-free" in a couple of years, but every time
I've tried it, its been a miserable failure. If you needed to just open
the occasional Word file for review or comments, or make a file someone
else can open in Word, then the compatible applications could work
well. But if you need to collaborate closely with Word users in
creating a document, you're probably going to have problems with things
that don't show up the same as you pass the document back and forth.

There's a lot of money at stake, so its probably worth a try, but I
haven't been able to do it.

SR