[X-Newbies] Sharing External HD

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Jul 12 23:42:49 PDT 2005

Tony Johansen said:

>Could she either using an external drive, or more directly just using
>firewire, connect the iBook as a 'target disk' and transfer files, maybe
>even some applications by this means?
>
>I was considering getting her a USB Memory Stick, but a firewire cord might
>be cheaper, and perhaps more logical.

Yes, that is the whole point of Firewire Target Disk Mode.  FTDM allows
you to connect two computers together with a FireWire cable and transfer
the files as if you were transfering from one drive to another (simple
drag and drop).  Zero configuration is required, and FireWire is much
faster than 10Base-T Ethernet.:

I use FTDM all the time to transfer files from my desktop to my PowerBook.

It will more than likely work for you under OS 9.  The requirements are:
    * Built-in FireWire port, or a FireWire port on a PC card
    * FireWire 2.3.3 or later
    * Mac OS 8.6 or later

This cable will make the transfer a lot easier due to its length and
quality.  It is a great buy compared to getting a similar Firewire cable
from a local store also:
10-foot ultra premium 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable for $10:
http://www.trianglecables.com/10footfiri132.html

More info on FireWire Target Disk Mode:

Make sure that your Macs have all the firmware updates that involve
FireWire installed:
<http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_en&kword=kbdload%20OR%20ks
ysupdate&q=firewire%20firmware>

Randy B. Singer