[X-Newbies] Corrupted User Prefs

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Wed Jun 15 04:48:06 PDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 13:35, Tony Johansen wrote:

> In the new user account the app works perfectly, so the
> problem is with the computer and my main user account.

Not with "the computer". The problem -- whatever it is -- is in your
user space.

> I've already run repair permissions in disc utility as per another
> suggestion.

Try to be as deliberate and methodical as possible. Do not use a
"scattergun" approach, trying any solution almost at random. In this
instance, the suggestion to repair permissions was made prior to your
determination that the problem was in the user space. It doesn't hurt,
but it doesn't help either, because DU, quite appropriately, does not
touch permissions in your user space.

> I now can accept simply using the program in the other account

The new user account is the beginning of troubleshooting, not a
solution. The next step is to identify the problem.

> Any suggestions?

The obvious is to compare your user account with the troubleshooting
account. What's different -- what does the account which doesn't work
have that the account which works doesn't?

To begin with, check your Startup Items. Is there anything other than
iTunes Helper and iCalAlarmScheduler? Use Activity Monitor to check
your processes. In addition to the visible ones and the ones I just
mentioned, there should be SystemUIServer, loginwindow, pbs, ATSServer,
WindowServer. Are there any others?

A corrupt or out-of-spec font may cause problems. Check your Fonts
folder, as well as the Classic Fonts folder. If you disable those fonts
(e.g., by moving them to a different folder), does the problem still
occur?

<0x0192>