[X-Newbies] Wait! I have a new question!

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sat May 21 17:00:01 PDT 2005

At 2:52 PM -0700 5/21/05, Carter Tomassi wrote:
>Without using third-party solutions, how can I save an index of each
>disk on my main HD?

Open the Terminal application. Enter "man ls" (without the quotes),
then press enter. Use the space bar to scroll through each screen of
info/instruction. The objective is to learn how to use the "ls"
command to list the contents of any disk or folder on your machine.
Once you get the gist of it, it's easy to open the Terminal and type
"ls -lahR /Volumes/name-of-CD > ~/Desktop/name-of-CD_listing.txt".

Then you can get Platypus
<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12046> to simply take that
simple one-liner and make it into a program instead. So you could
drag a CD onto the program icon and immediately have a text file with
the content listing appear on your Desktop.

It may sound complex but it'll probably take a well-spent hour to
find, learn, try, test and end up with your own custom application
that produces exactly the listing you wish.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]