[X-Newbies] Re: OS 10.1.5 to Tiger(?) (now having difficulties starting up from bootable clone)

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Mar 18 16:26:17 PST 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 4:01 PM, Daniel Carter wrote:

> embarrassed to say that I've still not installed that blessed Tiger. I
> finally got around to trying to back up by cloning my hard drive (with
> Carbon Copy Cloner) to a Seagate firewire drive, but am unable to
> start up from the clone. on startup the smiling face icon turns into a
> kind of fractured folder, if I'm remembering correctly. the system
> folder in the clone does not have X on it, as does the system folder
> in my main internal drive. anyone know what the problem is?

If you believe your external drive is set up correctly, hardware wise,
perhaps you could try cloning with something called SuperDuper.  But
first, you could make a disk image of a known good bootable CD or DVD
of your OS and putting that on the external drive to test that.
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.