[X-Newbies]

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 12:19:18 PST 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Steven Rogers wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Leah Aronoff wrote:
>
>> Boy!  None of this sounds like Newbies talk to me.  It is
>> incomprehensible to me. . . .
>
> Yeah - that's why I said "MacPorts is another package system like
> Fink" - for the purposes of this list, that's what it is.
>
> Package systems are supposed to make installing and updating
> software that comes from the developer community work like "magic",
> the way Software Update works. For the user who wants it to just
> work without understanding all the details, I think MacPorts will be
> slightly more "magical" than Fink.

This is the point I was ultimately trying to make. If a new user uses
Fink to install a command line UNIX or X11 program than they end up
with an command line environment that will be subtly and confusingly
different from OS X's command line environment. A new users would be
much better off using MacPorts, unless the program they were after was
only available via Fink, and if they choose to go with Fink I wanted
them to be aware of this potential confusion.

Fink is great if you explicitly want to have a GNU/Linux like
environment available on OS X, but for new users MacPorts is the
better choice because it uses OS X's UNIX facilities instead of
replacing it with a similar, but subtly different one.

Phil