[X-Newbies] Re: Your message to X-Newbies awaits moderator approval

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Tue Nov 21 07:44:42 PST 2006

At 9:31 AM -0600, 11/21/06, Steven Rogers wrote:

>When a list is run as an expression of the moderator's notion of
>what everyone else should do, then you usually get a dead list (like
>this one).

There isn't a list that exists that doesn't have 'arbitrary'
limitations. Some are size, some of number of lines quoted, some are
HTML limited.

>  If the list were run to serve the members, you wouldn't get
>arguments like: "A list server owner has to set some limit somewhere
>and those that choose to use HTML may find that whatever limit is
>set is 'arbitrary'. "

Every limit that exists is 'arbitrary' by your definition if it
doesn't meet someone else's needs or wants.

>  What does that have to do with new X users who want to get help?

For those that haven't bothered to read the list owners 'arbitrary'
rules, they will have to wait an hour or so for their post to get to
the list. Lots of harm that happened there I can agree.

Perhaps you'd like to donate a server, a list software of your
choice, lots of bandwidth, and then we'll all tell you how to run it.
Do note by the way that you may get conflicting views from your
listees. Some will want you to limit HTML and some will want no
restrictions but you'd better learn to accommodate everyone's wants
while you are donating your time and money.
--

Robert Ameeti

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward.
            -- Lewis Carroll