[X-Newbies] Re: Your message to X-Newbies awaits moderator approval

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 21 08:27:05 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 9:44 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 9:31 AM -0600, 11/21/06, Steven Rogers wrote:
>
>> When a list is run as an expression of the moderator's notion of
>> what everyone else should do, then you usually get a dead list
>> (like this one).
>
> There isn't a list that exists that doesn't have 'arbitrary'
> limitations. Some are size, some of number of lines quoted, some
> are HTML limited.

Right, but pointing that out is a convenient way to avoid addressing
whether a 5k limit better serves newbie X users than say a 20k or
50k. Or why 5k should be enough to sustain a normal on-topic discussion.

I joined the list when I was a newbie to OS X (from OS 9) and I stuck
around because I want to promote OS X. I don't like HTML mail either,
nor do I particularly relish getting quoted digests with "me too" at
the top - but those considerations shouldn't be elevated to a higher
priority than facilitating a *normal* discussion - unless the list is
really about teaching people how to post the "right" way, and not
about helping OS X newbies.

SR