[X-Newbies] Apple Mail Server Question

Thomas McDermott tjm at pobox.com
Sat Oct 18 18:54:24 PDT 2008

Good evening,
	I was wondering if someone could explain something to me regarding
how the Mail program handles deleting mail from my server.  On my
macbook and iPhone I have the mail setting to leave mail on server
unless I delete it.  When I have used eudora and thunderbird it seemed
to remove the messages from the server the next time the program
checked for new mail.  With Mail it doesn't seem to work that way...at
least not right away.  If I delete a message from Mail, check for mail
and then shut Mail down right away the message is still on the server
when I get to my home pc.  If I leave Mail running and it checks mail
at its assigned interval the messages will eventually be removed from
the server.  I guess the long winded question is why that is and what
causes the delay in mail removal?

Thanks

Tom