XServe RAID 1 (mirroring)

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Mon Jun 30 13:54:42 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I'm considering getting an XServe that would be installed at a co-location facility.

Since I don't have (easy/quick) physical access to the machine, I'm considering getting a two drive XServe and setting up RAID 1 (mirroring) for data redundancy.

(a) Is this supported by the RAID software bundled in OS X Server?  Or do I need third-party drivers?

(b) Will this automatically handle a drive failure and fail-over to the working drive until a replacement is installed?  Will the RAID software automatically mirror a replacement drive from the working drive?

(c) Can the XServe boot from a RAID 1 drive?

Finally, has anyone had any problems with drives on an XServe?  Am I just being paranoid?  Could I get away with just one drive, a good backup strategy, and saying my prayers every night?

Thanks,

James