[X-Unix] Need to log internet connectivity

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalaciosp at eml.cc
Mon Jun 28 07:27:31 PDT 2004

On Jun 27, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> During the last hour, I set my pop email client to check for email
> every 1
> minute.  The trouble I found is that, with PPPoE, once the connection
> drops,
> it seems the Mac OS defaults to the internal modem (even though it is
> "not
> configured"), and does not seem try to re-establish PPPoE until I open
> System Preferences > Network > Show: Network Status and click Connect.
>  This
> is even though I have checked "Connec automatially when needed" and
> "Send
> PPP echo packets", and un-checked "Disconnect if idle".
>
> Does anyone know if this can be made to reconnect automatically with
> PPPoE?

	Probably one thing you could do, above leaving the internal modem "not
configured", is "disabling" it, in order to leave your Mac with only
one network interface, either dead or live. Go to System Preferences ->
Network -> Show "Network Port Configurations"; there you'll find the
list of available interfaces, both active and inactive, and what you
have to do is uncheck the "Internal Modem" and save the changes. In
this scenario the Mac will not try to connect through the modem once
your PPPoE connection goes down because the interface will just not
*exist* at the moment. With only one remaining interface, the OS will
attempt to connect through it again if the connection is lost.

	Hope that helps. Regards,...

		Juan