[X-Unix] Creating users with the command line

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 11 13:23:13 PDT 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 12:32 PM, Pedro fp wrote:

> G'day Folks
>
> I'm trying to (re)configure the Apache server in my Mac OS X.3
> following the instructions given in "Apache the Definitive Guide"
> (O'Reilly). I'm doing this both as a learning exercise and because I
> need a more sophisticated testing server than I currently have, in
> particular I need multiple virtual servers with SSL.
>
> Early on ATDG advises creating a user called 'webuser' in a group
> 'webgroup'. The authors advise first creating webgroup using the
> command ...
> 	adduser -group webgroup
> then using addgroup to add webuser however when I attempt to run those
> commands I get ...
> 	-bash: adduser: command not found
> Can anyone advise how I can do this on OS X.3? The objective is to
> create a user who "cannot actually log in" for Apache services to run
> as.

A little googling works wonders.

You need to look into niutil(1) and/or check out these links:

http://www.osxfaq.com/FAQ/User_Admin_FAQ/index.ws

http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20040813023740511

Also O'reilly has a book which covers OS X's command line utilities:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mosxgeeks/?CMP=IL7015

Phil