[X-Unix] Problem with old umask setting

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:23:29 PDT 2005

After hours, on and off, troubleshooting a failure on the part of a daemon in StartupItems to maintain its 'state' across rebbots, the situation was 'fixed' by resetting the permission on the particular item's folder in /Library/StartupItems.

During that investigation, i ran a simple umask command in Terminal, and the console returned with:

% 7

That's a bad thing. back in Jaguar I had my own default umak set for 770. But when I checked the .tcshrc file in my Tiger setup here, there is absolutely no umask setting listed at all. The same goes for .login, and the rc file in /etc.

I am stumped. Somewhere i have a setting that is forcing the return of that '7' in the console. Anybody have an idea?

thanks,
brian s