[X-Unix] Compiling GAIM on OS X / Or Getting it to Run?!!

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue May 17 10:15:46 PDT 2005

Sometime in May Long, Jason assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Any one here have any success at Getting Gaim to run on their Mac?? I
| have compiled a lot of it  now I'm stuck at a little promblem in the way
| which is the fonts.conf file not being set up correctly... Or missing..
| I should be posting a error message shortly after I get home, however I
| wanted to see if anyone has already gotten Gaim running on Mac OS X if
| so then I would love to know how they did it and what steps they took to
| get it to work. I did most of mine thur Fink Commander and some packages
| had to be manually installed because Fink wouldn't install em.

I did using fink many moons ago and I don't recally having any problems.
I'm currently using fink unstable, and I believe that is what I was using
at the time. Keep in mind that this was on 10.3.9. I eventually quit usin
gaim in favor of Adiumx --- which uses gaim's libraries and consequently
supports most of the features that gaim supports. If you want I can try to
compile gaim and see what I come up with. You can also see if it's is
available with apt (installed with fink) since that uses precompiled
binaries instead of trying to compile all the packages. I apologize if this
is to basic, but to see if it is available type:

  sudo apt-get update
  apt-cache search gaim

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB