[X-Unix] SSH Tunnels and Network name problems

Paul pwblackb at uc.cl
Fri Oct 21 11:58:14 PDT 2005

Jon, thanks for your reply.

On 21 Oct 2005, at 11:14, Jon Allen Boone wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2005, at 23:21, Paul wrote:
>>

>   What kind of computer is your main computer?

eMac G4.

>  Do you use wireless or a wired connection at home?

Nope. Cable modem goes into an ethernet hub which connects the eMac
and the outlet for the iBook. The eMac acts as a gateway for the iBook.

>  Have you tried changing the location setting before getting home
> (if wireless) or plugging in the network cable (if wired)?

I think I have but I cannot be sure.

Ok, I unplugged the cable, changed the name to kasumi, plugged it in
(all the time while on the Gateway location) and after a few seconds,
I was told that the name had to be changed to kasumi.local.

I went downstairs to the eMac, and found that its name was
ket-2.local. Grrr. I tried changing it to ket.local and I was told
there was already a ket.local on the network.

The Network item in the Finder sidebar shows ket (on the iBook) and
shows kasumi (on the eMac). These are the correct "Computer Name"s
but not the Local Hostnames which I am having trouble with.

It seems as if they have both cached the other computer's name, and
upon reconnecting, cannot recognize it as the same computer. This
only happens once, producing *-2.local on both computers.

How would one go about flushing the cache?

Paul