[X-Unix] Is there a GUI utility for viewing UNIX man pages?

Rob Griffiths robg at macosxhints.com
Wed Jan 4 05:29:14 PST 2006

I've used ManOpen for quite a while; it works reasonably well (http://
www.clindberg.org/projects/ManOpen.html).

> If not, is there a better way than doing 'man <name> | cat' and
> then copying the output from the teminal window to a word processor?

We ran a recent hint on this -- http://www.macosxhints.com/
article.php?story=20051225101106519. Basically, you can do this:

man -t some_command | open -f -a /Applications/Preview.app

You'll get a nicely-formatted man page in Preview, but it's a bit
slow to open. I think the finished product, though, is quite
readable. There are also many alternatives listed in the comments to
the above-hint.

-rob.