[X-Unix] Forcing Mail.app to use a proxy

Sytse Kuijk sytse at pobox.com
Sun May 7 00:19:27 PDT 2006

Would it be OK to use pop, but on a different port than standard?
That can be set up easily if you have access to both server and
client side.

sytse

At 12:07 -1100 06-05-2006, John Harrold wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in the lovely country of Samoa. I get internet
>access from the University I work at. All of our traffic passes through at
>least two different firewalls which filter traffic. One of those blocks pop
>requests. My solution is to setup a socks 5 proxy through an ssh
>connection. This works out really well because I use fetchmail to download
>my email and mutt to read it. Here is my delima, or rather my roommates. He
>just got a new Macbook and he would like to check his email. Where I come
>from a Linux background, he comes from the other end of the spectrum. My
>first thought was to configure the proxy settings in the Network section of
>System Preferences. However it appears that Mail.app doesn't respect these
>settings. The way I see it, I have a couple options:
>
>1. Try to find a decent gui program which respects these settings.
>
>2. Try to get Mail.app to use the proxy
>
>3. Setup fetchmail, and have it deliver mail in a way that Mail.app
>    or some other gui program will read.
>
>Have I missed any useful options?
>
>I've looked into option 1 above, but I haven't found one yet. Does anyone
>know of such a client? Now for option two, which would be relevant to this
>list, I was wondering if there was any wrapper programs I could run
>Mail.app from within that would redirect the traffic for me?  Any thoughts
>would be most appreciative.
>
>--
>                             | /"\
>  john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
>  john.m.harrold _at_ gmail  |  X  against HTML mail
>                             | / \
>
>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

- Sytse Kuijk                            -       ___
- R.S.R. n.v.                            -       o|o
- Gijzelaarsstraat 16                    - \_____(.)_____/
- 2000 Antwerpen                         -
- Daytime phone: +32 2 7388837	         -
- GSM: +32 495 20 99 00                  -              ___
- Phone: +32 3 216 4328                  -              o|o
- E-mail: sytse at pobox.com                -        \_____(.)_____/