[X-Unix] Re: Pokey LAN transfers (Resolved)

Richard Hartman seasoft at west.net
Thu Dec 27 11:49:14 PST 2007

Thanks to Wing Wong, Nick Scalise, David Ledger and Brian Medley for
their thoughtful responses. For some reason, Wing Wong's detailed
response didn't make it to the list and is reproduced (far) below.

Here is a summary of what I learned:

The overhead on my setup of mounting a volume on the desktop (via
AFP) is evidently enormous:

- Mounting a LAN volume on the local desktop and then using cp on a
large (2GB) file using a terminal window (copying from mounted LAN
volume to internal disk drive)  produced transfer rates of only about
25 megabits/sec.

- Unmounting the LAN volume and instead using scp or rsync (and the
IP address of the source mac) produced the expected transfer rate of
100 megabits/sec, which was the speed limit expected by the slowest
network element in the loop (the 100 mbps nic on one of the macs).

Regards,

Rich