[X4U] [OT] Basic Photo skills... Re-Saving JPEG's

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sun Aug 8 00:55:17 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 10:31:34AM -0700, revDAVE wrote:
:
: (Sending again - it didn't go thru 1st time...)
:
:  I'm still curious about this ...
:
: > But then, I would like to re-save them as JPEG's...  So my question is:
: >
: > Q: What is the best way to re-save save a JPEG after modifying the
: > picture?

Depends on what you plan to use the re-saved images for.

: > 1a -  format options = baseline standard - baseline optimized or
: > progressive?

Doesn't matter.  These options only affect the display of partially
loaded JPEG content as they are being downloaded to your browser.
Once completely loaded, the JPEG looks the same.

: > 1b - image quality = ? ( no need to save it at a  larger file size
: > than the original) - so which quality would closest match the
: > original -  how do I figure that out? Is there a "one size fits all"
: > for this?

There is no "one size fits all".  You have to play with the numbers
until you find a setting that looks "good enough" for your uses.

: Also, I'm curious about how to best deal with a larger collection.  For my
: basic needs, I find that I have 2 basic classes of photographs -  the good
: ones I want to display and then the others that are not as good - but I do
: not want to throw out, and that like to keep as an archive somewhere. Also,
: separating things in folders will help slide-show type programs like graphic
: converter that can display the contents of a particular folder...
:
: Question: what's the best way to separate these on the hard drive?

I'd make *copies* of the entire folder.

: -  should I make 2 folders for each photo event? - like ...  Bob's birthday
: and Bob's birthday archive? That would mean and making lots of folders - but
: it does seem to solve my problem of keeping the separated...

For every event, mark one folder as the "raw archive" containing all
photos straight from the digital camera without any alterations done
(no resizing, no cropping, no color correction, no Photoshop tweaking,
etc., you get the idea).  Then make a separate folder containing those
photos that you want to display, containing copies of the photos you
have chosen from the archive folder.  It's easy, it's friendly to most
slide-show applications.  Worried about disk space?  Get a new hard
drive or burn the photos to a blank CD or DVD.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/