[X4U] Single user not an Admin user: A fix anyone?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Aug 12 06:12:56 PDT 2004

>On 12/08/2004, at 2:51 PM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>>You can't boot into root unless you previously had root enabled. As a single user, there is no option other than entering that user's password. And if you have auto login as the setting, I don't think you'll even have the option to do that.
>
>Couple of thoughts. I was under the impression that resetting the password using the CD did enable the root account. In fact I've just verified that by doing a CD/reset password on a Panther Mac that (I checked) had a disabled root account beforehand. After that I was able to log in fine using the root account. May I ask what gives you the impression that root isn't being enabled in your case?

I've not meant to say that root is not enabled. It may be. BUT... If the Accounts pane had been set to display Name and Password, instead of displaying a List of Users, then the root account is not accessible. There is no ability to change from the Single user, to the root account.

>Root (or System Administrator, to use Apple's long name) will not show up when the login panel shows a list of users, that's one main reason the Other button also shows in the login screen.

Only if the Dislplay Login Window is set for List of Users.

> Click that and you get the user & password login pane where you can specify a non-listed account name.
>
>Additionally, if auto login is set and you're dropped straight into Finder without needing a password, doing a logout will still get you back to the login screen.

Which again will only allow for the entry of a password for the single, non changeable user.
--

Robert Ameeti

Remember, the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends.

- Cindy Lew