OT sorta: funny characters in html mail

Mike Warren tvillemw at alltel.net
Thu Jul 15 12:40:28 PDT 2004

I subscribe to a newsletter that comes to my Mail.app mailbox in HTML
format. Recently the web links stopped working (the rest of the
newsletter looks normal except Mail.app can't download the graphics.)
HTML mail messages from other sources (e.g., TidBITS) still work. After
comparing their "raw source", I see the difference is that the messages
whose links don't work have the funky codes (e.g., =20, =3D, and =D0)
you sometimes see in messages. Here's a sample:

==== begin sample

<DIV align=3Dleft><A
href=3D"http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/200=
4/06/22/news/local/news11.txt">Keyes to speak at freedom of religion
rall=
y</A></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft>By Mary Garrigan</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft>Rapid City Journal, Iowa</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft>June 22, 2004</DIV>

==== end sample

It's the "3D" after a valid "=" that make the href tag fail. What has
caused those codes to appear? Is it on my side or the sender's side?
What's the fix?