[X4U] iSight Mac to webcam PC

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Nov 7 05:40:47 PST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 3:24 am, Michael Elliott wrote:

> Off topic, but does anyone know of a program on Windows that would
> allow you to enter, say, a range of ports, and then have the program
> tell you (in a simple way) whether those ports are open for traffic?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

There is a bit more to it than this, but the easiest thing is just for
your brother-in-law to open the appropriate ports in his firewall
(which you'll undoubtedly have found posted many other places on the
net). I don't see any risk to this, as the only service that should be
listening on those ports is AIM.

As a generalisation, firewalls have two purposes: to prevent viruses
spreading which take advantage of services on various ports, and to
prevent malware from listening on certain ports. I'm not aware of any
virus which uses AIM as its host-protocol, and I think it would be
quite a coincidence if your brother-in-law already had anything on his
machine which wastrying to listen on those ports.

Stroller.