[X4U] Airport upgrade troubles

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 19 07:40:52 PST 2004

On Nov 19, 2004, at 2:46 pm, db wrote:

>> Afterwards, when I put the Ethernet cable in the plug again and renew
>> DHCP, the laptop got a 192.168.x.x that looks like an IP from the
>> router.
>
> That IP is a self-assigned IP, meaning when the computer (or the
> airport) can't for some reason get an IP via DHCP, it just assigns
> itself that for lack of anything better to do.

Self-assigned IPs are of the order 169.x.y.z; I think saying that "just
assigns itself that for lack of anything better to do" is a bit unfair
- that range is part of the "zeroconf" standards which are intended
that networky stuff should be able to be plugged in & detect other
network devices without any configuration. The technical stuff is at
<http://www.zeroconf.org/> and
<http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/index.html>.

192.168.x.y is part of a private address space. I'd think the OP's
conclusion that it may be issued by the router emminently reasonable -
all Netgear devices use addresses in the 192.168.0.x range, for
instance.

I'm afraid I've never used an Airport base-station, which is why I
haven't contributed better to this thread, but 192.168.x.x is NOT
self-assigned - it's probably being issued by DHCP in this instance.

Stroller.